Thursday, January 23, 2014

Landed in Sochi, Russia

Well last we spoke I had arrived in Moscow and it was -20 outside well my short stay in Moscow did involve having a Traditional Ukraine soup called Bolsh which was amazing.  The next day a took a quick pre-arranged taxi to Keneasky train station where I caught a the new high speed train from Moscow to Sochi.  Well one of the reasons I took the train was see the country side of Russia and to use the free internet.  Well the view was nice and the internet worked in the Moscow train station only.  During the train trip I was able to meet some wonderful young people going to Sochi who just wanted to talk English to someone.

Early Tuesday January 21 approached Sochi at which time I learned that the Train tickets that I purchased were Sochi not Adler where the Olympics are actually being help.  I was able to speak to one of the beautiful train attendants and she was able to let me continue on the last 40 km to Adler.  Upon arriving in Sochi I was amazed by the wonderful train station that was built to accommodate all the people coming to the 2014 Sochi Olympics.  Once inside the station itself I instantly became aware of the security here is Sochi.  All personal belong had to  passed through a scanner and then you proceeded thought.   I then observed two wonderful dogs sitting next to a handler as it sniffed through the luggage.

After passing through this area I went outside and was advised that I could take a few different ways to Vesoyla which is located just outside the Olympic Park area and is the area that will house the volunteer.  The volunteer housing where I am is three recently completed apartments which will be turned in local housing after the games.

On Wednesday I went over to the accreditation and accommodations area and completed by process for getting my pass.  I went into the accreditation area and was quickly advised that my passport was not updated.    I provided them with my new passport and shorty afterwards the completed the documentation at which time I discovered that I am now part of the best sporting event ever.  The whole process took about 5 yrs


Thursday was my first day actually here that I didn't feel completely wiped from travel to Sochi.  I got up and made my way to meet the other volunteer and we made the 2 1/2 track to the Endurance Village.   It was a a nice drizzle on the lower part of the mountain but when we got half way up I saw,, the most beautiful snow covered mountains.  We left at 0800 hrs and we arrived and had a full day of familiarization with the Endurance Village which was very well completed.   I have learned that the staff here  have been outstanding and have seen the security increase slowly but can see  that it will be a very safe and secure.  

A number of officers have learned that I am a police officer and we have traded some wonderful gifts  and I have been able to talk with them which has been great.

 Well the next time we speak I'm going writing about the job at Endurance Village.


No comments:

Post a Comment