Monday, January 13, 2014

in the Beginning

In Feb 2013 I was sitting around playing around on my Ipad when I came across a website called Sochi2014.com and they were looking for volunteers for the 2014 Sochi Winter Games.  I always wanted to go to Russia and I love the Winter Olympics..    So I decided to fill out the online application and see what happens.  Well I passed the application stage, English First Test ( I am from East Coast so it was interesting) and then came the interview.  My interview was over Skype in March 2013 and it was over 2 hours long and was a behavioral based interview.   I waited and waited and waited and finally in October I heard that the committee was starting the process of picking candidates.

  In early Novenber I heard through I contact that I was close to being selected and then on November 18 th I received the following :

We inform you that your position EVS Team for OLYMPIC has been offered you. 
Please follow the steps below to accept your role within the next 10 days
-     Log in to www.vol.sochi2014.com using your email address and password
  -  Click on the “My status” tab to find out your role  
  -   Tick the box displayed on the left hand side and click on “Accept position”.
Attention! Dear Volunteer! On your page you will see the period of your working shifts. Period of stay in Sochi during the Games is longer and includes time required for accommodation, accreditation and trainings. The dates of your staying in Sochi will be announced later.
Please ignore the number indicated in your position title. This information is for internal use only and helps us to appoint shifts in the system.


The first think I did was call my lovely wife and asked " Are you sure" and I was given the answer many of my future Olympic friends were given..."if you don't you will regret it forever".   I said OK and then I spoke to my employer and I was told  " It's a chance of I lifetime and we will manage".

SO BEGINS THE JOURNEY......





No comments:

Post a Comment