Monday, February 17, 2014

Canada hockey and meeting Pres PUTIN

Well it is now Monday FEB 17 th and it is Family Day so I hope everyone back home spends some time with there family as I FaceTimed my families earlier.   The Olympic experience continues to be just an amazing as the moment it started.

When I came to Sochi I wanted to go to see Canada play hockey and I managed to get tickets to all three prelim games.  The first game was Canada vs Norway and as I expecting it was a tune up as it was  there first together.   The second game was vs Austria and just before the game and I had the opportunity to go to Canada House.  Just before we were to leave to head to the game PRESIDENT PUTIN walked in and I was able to get right to the front.  As he was holding a pair of Canada mittens I said "put them on" and the chanting began.    Then the most amazing thing happened I reached out my right hand and the next then you know I was shaking the hand of the PRES of RUSSIA.  After this it was off to the hockey game and where I saw the Canada team play a much better game and won over Austria.

I have also seen luge, skeleton, and speedskating which have all been great.  The luge was great but the Latvia beat out Canada for bronze medal.   The speedskating was great to watch from the second row as it is my son Jeff favorite sport.  It has been time filled with work, events and hanging with new friends and little sleep so guess what...I got a cold......but I didn't let it slow me down for the big game on Sunday.

I got up on Sunday and a few of us decided that we would head to Russia exhibit where we could learn a lot about Russia.  Wearing out Canada gear and all my pins got a lot of attention including a lot of personal  one on one info on the different parts of Russia.  It is truely amazing how Russia landscape is like Canada's in many ways.  I will attach as many of the photos as possible to Facebook.  Afterwards we headed over to Coke pravillion where we were able to take our picture with the Olympic torch....holding the last two winter olympic torches has been great.

The last event of the day would be highlight as it was the last game of prelim and determine 1 st place in pool.  A stop over the Coke cafeteria to purchase a fee pre- game drinks and chat with a number of Canada fans...Once inside you quickly realize that both players and fans knew that this was a big game.  My friend Brenda and I decided to enjoy this game with a few Finnish fans from about 6 rows from the ice. A great location for pictures and getting into the game.( see Facebook).   The game was back and forth and ended up going into OT where Canada would come out on top.  

I will update everyone in a couple of days....Go Canada..

No comments:

Post a Comment